Are you planning to build your custom home that matches your personal taste in architecture? First, you need to find a contractor you can trust. Selecting between different residential contractors can be tricky at times, because all other companies claim to be the best in the business. Here are the 9 pro tips you need.
1. Ask. When looking for custom home builders, references always count. Talk to your friends, colleagues and neighbors to find out what services they have tried so far. Ask them about the experience and why they liked or didn’t like a service.
2. Check if the company is authentic. Don’t be surprised to find that many of the contractors have no experience working with clients. They often offer the best discounts and sell the contracts to smaller subcontractors to easily earn money.
3. Make sure the business is licensed, insured, and guaranteed. You need to check if the contractor has the necessary permits to work in your city and area, and it should also be insured. These are basics that people often ignore when comparing options.
4. Are they open to your ideas? A good and reliable general contractor will take the time to understand the needs, expectations and requirements of their clients. They will also discuss any ideas you may have in mind, and depending on the practicalities, they may suggest the right things.
5. Will you offer a quote? As a customer, you need to be very careful about your choice of contractor, especially regarding the budget they provide you. Check if their prices are authentic and in line with standards. Getting a quote is also important because you can compare the options.
6. Specialization counts. Always work with a contractor who has worked and managed projects similar to yours. Not all commercial contractors deal with residential projects, so ask them about their areas of expertise.
7. Check your previous projects. You can never trust a service that doesn’t have enough customers. Check the work they have done so far, so you know the type of experience they have with residential projects.
8. Ask for references. It is not enough to see some photos of your previous projects. You need to know the experience of your clients in terms of your services, and for that, nothing is more important than references. A company that has been operating for more than five years will have enough customers.
9. Ask why you should hire them. As a customer, you need to know why one company thinks they are better than others. Learn about their highlights and ask them questions about their work. They should be able to convince you of their highlights and the kinds of things they do.
Finally, take the time to schedule a personal meeting. You may need two or three meetings before you can approve the project.